Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Hadrian's Wall









Sunday we trekked to Hadrian's Wall on an excellent recommendation from someone at church.  This happens to be the only bit of the wall one is allowed to walk on-- and not just people! The wall itself isn't very high.  If you look at that last image, that's it. Five feet maybe. But what I failed to capture is the absolute precipe on the other side, making it quite an effective defence.  Fran kept jumping from one side of the wall to the other, singing, "Now I'm a barbarian, now I'm not. Now I'm a barbarian, now I'm not." I found this exceedingly ironic considering we've each lived for the past several years quite happily as "barbarians." We were meant to walk to a pub for lunch, but the conditions were about four feet of snow with a storm brewing on the horizon. Still, it did leave the thought of a potential back-packing trip across the wall, one day, ideally with dog and brother.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have been there! And I may say, that first picture of the wall is ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!